2nd failed alternator on the Powerstroke 6.0

The dealer put a new (refurb) alternator on the Excursion when I purchased it, I was hoping it was just due after 110k miles.  But, that wasn't the case, after only a few months this alternator also failed.  I was warned by a friend with a 6.0 that the electrical system is very sensitive on this powerstroke and that I need to be very careful with the FICM because low voltages can cause it to fail and when a FICM fails it can also take fuel injectors with it and then you get a nice fat repair bill of thousands of dollars.  Ouch!  I don't want that, time for some serious preventative maintenance.

New Matching Batteries
My truck came with two unmatched batteries and it was obvious one was much older than the other.  A quick trip to Costco and I had two new matching batteries under warranty!

New Heavy Duty DC Power 250Amp Alternator
I was determined to install my last alternator and make the electrical system bulletproof.  After a little research it lead me to FICMrepair.com where I happened to find the 250 amp HD alternator by DC Power on sale.  The OEM alternator is drastically underpowered, it struggles to power a bone stock Excursion/F250 and this is why they have a very high failure rate.  And then if you start adding aftermarket accessories that use power you are asking for more than the OEM electrical system is able to provide.  This in my opinion is one of the #1 must upgrade items on all 6.0 Powerstrokes.

Untitled

HD Wiring Kit 
I was skeptical about this, so I did not order it right away.  MISTAKE!  I installed the new 250HD alternator and it happened to be winter which means that when the motor is cold it's drawing massive amounts of amperage to warm glow plugs on top of normal stuff like heater, heated seats, stereo, etc. Well, guess what happened within less than a month of install?  I melted the OEM charge wire connected to the alternator and then broke the bolt attempting to remove it as it had basically welded itself!  Dammit!  Lesson learned, listen to good advice and fix it right.  Luckily a local alternator repair shop fixed my broken bolt back to knew for a small charge.  FICMRepairs advice was spot on, the 6.0 electrical system was massively under-designed and upgrading the wiring is just as important as the alternator.

OEM wiring can't handle the 250HD power loads, the OEM charge cable welded itself to the bolt of my brand new alternator.  If you upgrade to a large alternator don't forget the wiring!
Untitled

Over a year with ZERO electrical issues and still using my stock FICM.
I'm happy to say that this was one of the best and most crucial upgrades I've done to my Powerstroke 6.0.  I've had zero electrical issues ever since installing the DC Power 250HD alternator and the HD wiring kit. The FICM voltages are always strong and within spec, and I don't worry about frying it.  This upgrade gave me serious piece of mind and has no doubt prevented another Found On Road Dead moment.

Isn't that nice looking?  New billet aluminum HD alternator with HD wiring kit to deliver the big payloads!  One additional thing I did after this picture was taken is adding insulation between the metal CAC tube and the positive lead since they are so close together...don't want to risk it grounding out.  I used an old rubber CAC boot for this and zip tied it to the tube.

Untitled

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ford Excursion Suspension Upgrade Choices

Buying a Ford Excursion, which engine should I choose?

Daily Driver Part 1: Lacking Sound and Technology